Player Code of Conduct
Marin FC sponsors youth soccer activity to provide the qualified student-athlete with the best chance to realize his or her potential as a soccer player. Providing a positive learning environment that promotes self-discipline, character development, sportsmanship and leadership is a primary element of the Club’s mission. This Player Code of Conduct expresses our core values and goals.
Playing with a Marin FC team is a privilege, not a right. I understand that as a player with a Marin FC team, I will act in accord with the following:
- I will attend every team training and match that I possibly can. I will show up on time, stay for the full session, and give full effort. If I am unable to attend training or a match, I will notify the coach or the manager as early as possible.
- I understand that by joining Marin FC I’m making a commitment to my teammates, the team, the club and myself for an entire season. The team is a small unit and its success depends on the commitment made by all players to the training environment we jointly create. I pledge to give best effort and push my teammates to do the same for the entirety of the season.
- At training, matches, tournaments, and friendly games, I will give maximum effort with and without the ball.
- I will attempt to master all of the technical, tactical and physical demands of the game, especially in areas in weakness.
- I will take responsibility to better myself as a player, including by making the effort to train on my own weekly on areas of weakness in my game.
- Trustworthiness: I will be worthy of trust in all I do.
- Integrity: I will live up to high ideals of ethics, fairness and sportsmanship and pursue victory with honor; I will do what’s right even when it’s unpopular or personally costly.
- Honesty: I will live and compete honorably; I will not lie, cheat, steal or engage in any other dishonest or unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Reliability: I will fulfill commitments.
- Loyalty: I will be loyal to my Club and team; I will put team above personal glory.
- Respect: I will treat all people all the time, as I would like to be treated.
- Class: I will live and play with class; I will be a good sport; I will be gracious in victory and accept defeat with dignity; I will show respect in pre- and post-game rituals.
- Disrespectful Conduct: I will not engage in disrespectful conduct including profanity, obscene gestures, offensive remarks of a sexual or racial nature, trash-talking, celebrations with intent to taunt opponents, or other actions that demean individuals or the sport.
- Respect Officials and Opponents: I will treat athletic officials with respect; I will not complain about or argue with official calls or decisions during or after matches. I will show respect to my opponents, their coaches and spectators before, during and after matches.
- Teammates: I will speak only positive and constructive words and encouragement to my teammates during training and matches and will leave criticism and instruction for the coach to deliver.
- Importance of Education: I will be a student first and commit to getting the best education I can. I will be honest with myself about the likelihood of getting an athletic scholarship or playing on a professional level and remember that many universities will not recruit student-athletes who do not have a serious commitment to their education, the ability to succeed academically, and the character to represent their institution honorably.
- Role Modeling: I will represent Marin FC, my coach and my teammates with honor, on and off the field. I will consistently exhibit good character and conduct myself as a positive role model.
- Self-Control: I will exercise self-control; I will not fight or show excessive displays of anger or frustration; I will have the strength to overcome the temptation to retaliate.
- Integrity of the Game: I will protect the integrity of the game; I will not gamble on our games. I will maintain a thorough knowledge of, and play the game according to, all applicable rules.
- Communication with Coaches: I will take responsibility for communicating with coaches.
- Healthy Lifestyle: I will safeguard my health through healthy diet, exercise and avoiding the use of prohibited substances.
- Zero Tolerance for the Use of Prohibited Substances: I am aware that if coaches and/or managers become aware that any illegal or unhealthy substances including alcohol, tobacco, drugs or performance enhancers, or unhealthy techniques to gain, lose or maintain weight, are being used or possessed during any Marin FC-sponsored activity, my parents will be immediately informed. Use or possession of such substances may also lead to suspension and/or termination of player privileges.
- Concern for Others: I will demonstrate concern for others; I will never intentionally injure any player or engage in reckless behavior that might cause injury to me or to others.
- Teammates: I will help promote the well-being of teammates by positive encouragement and by reporting any unhealthy or dangerous conduct to coaches.
When the team is traveling with only the coaches, managers and other parent chaperones (together “team’s staff”) to tournaments or other events, I will follow the Code of Conduct and any additional rules established by the team’s staff. Any serious violation of such rules or of this Code of Conduct will result in the player’s parents being notified immediately and the possibility that the player may be sent home immediately at the parent’s expense by whatever means is most convenient for the team’s staff. Termination of the player’s participation in such events is within the sole discretion of the team’s staff.
All disciplinary action for any violation of this Player Code of Conduct is within the sole discretion of the Coach, Marin FC Director of Coaching and Board of Directors. Disciplinary action may include suspension or termination of a player’s participation privilege. No reimbursement of program or travel fees will be made to a dismissed player or the player’s family.
We, the undersigned, have read, understand and agree to abide by the requirements of this Code of Conduct. We also agree to accept the actions taken for failure to abide by this Player Code of Conduct.